London is full of wonderful places to visit and things to see but there are several attractions that every visitor must see.
- Big Ben: is actually the nickname of the bell found in the clock at the north end of the Palace of Westminster. It is the largest chiming clock in the world that has four faces. It ranks third on the list of the largest clock towers in the world that are free standing.
- The Tower of London: is on the north bank of the River Thames and was founded in 1066 as part of the Norman Conquest. William the Conqueror built the White Tower, from which the castle takes its name. It has been used as a prison since 1100. The tower is a series of buildings set within two concentric circles of walls and a moat. The Tower of London is very important to the history of England.
- London Bridge: is a bridge that spans the River Thames and connects London City and Southwark in central London. It is the western end of the Pool of London. It was the only bridge over the downstream of the Thames until 1729 when the Putney Bridge opened. The present bridge opened in 1793, one of many bridges at the same site that have been called London Bridge.
- The Buckingham Palace Changing of the Guard: Londons number one tourist attraction. In 1702 it was built as the London Home of the Duke of Buckingham. The state rooms of Buckingham Palace are open to the public from late July to September. The military groups that guard the royal residences in London are the Queens Guard and the Queens Life Guard.
- The London Eye (Millennium Wheel): is the largest Ferris wheel is Europe. It stands 443 feet or 135 metres tall. The number one paid tourist attraction in the UK, it is the largest Ferris wheel in Europe. It is on the South Bank of the Thames in the borough of Lambeth at the western end of Jubilee Gardens.
- Princess Dianas Memorial: can be found in the southwest corner of Hyde Park. It was designed to express her love of children. Princess Dianas Memorial was officially opened in July 2004 by Queen Elizabeth II.
Todays visitors to London can pick and choose from a long list of things to do and see while visiting Englands capital city. The sites on the above list are just a prelude to days and nights of exciting sightseeing in the city of London.
If you liked this, try : Budget Hotel London